Saturday, January 30, 2010

Licking snow

On Friday afternoon, Cate and I got home from school/daycare, and Cate wouldn't come in the house. She was standing on the deck with me while I unlocked the back door, and I stepped into the house, turned around, and realized she wasn't coming in. Now, to set the stage, it was about 14 degrees outside, and the wind was howling. It was SO COLD!! Cate wasn't in her snowpants or even her snow mittens (just the fleece ones), but she refused to come in. Then she started eating snow off the picnic table, and it was so funny watching her that I just let her play while I stood at the door and watched. Yes, that's right. I stood inside the warm house and happily watched my daughter get frostbite. :)


I'd like to say that it's her hearty Maine stock, but since we're considered "from away," it doesn't count. haha






And on a related side note, here's a "You know you're in Maine when...." from this morning. I was on my way to kickboxing class this morning, and it was 1 degree. (not kidding). I went past Mae's Cafe, a nice local restaurant/bakery, and I saw parked on their deck/porch a double stroller, sitting outside the front door. So, some family put their kids in a stroller and WALKED to Mae's for Saturday breakfast. In near sub-zero temps. That's the kind of type that you'll find in Maine. They're a hearty sort.

3 comments:

Laurie said...

You should make her some snow cream...it's a southern treat down here in the south.

M said...

Hilarious! Such stubborn little things they are.

Claire said...

You'd think that was chocolate she's scraping off the table!! I don't know what it is about kids and eating snow - Jack insisted on sampling ours as well... :)